Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Is Jesus A False Idol?

One of the ten commandments is:

"Thou shall have no other God before me."

God commands us to worship Him and Him alone. We aren't supposed to worship what the Bible refers to as false idols. No, I don't just mean little statue 'idols' and I don't mean the contestants on American Idol. Though those do fall into the category of false idols, God refers to other false gods.

This topic goes back to the 'potted plant' reference I used in a previous post. If you have mountains of faith in a potted plant, it will get you nowhere. However, if you have only an ounce of faith in God, you can move mountains! It's not how much faith you have, it's what you have faith in.

Don't put all your faith in trust in that celebrity you think is 'so hot'. Believe me, I know. I used to be obsessed with Ricky Ulman (You know..Ricky?...Phil of the Future?.....Oh come on!). They aren't going to be there for eyou in your time of need. Don't worship the girl in your choir who can sing with the voice of a goddess. She may sound like an angel, but that doesn't mean she is one.

Now, I have heard some people pose the following argument:

"God says to not have any other Gods before him and that we are supposed to only worship Him. If that's the case, then isn't Jesus a false idol? Jesus isn't God, is he? He's His son, right?"

This is an interesting point, I'll give it that, but let me put it into perspective.

Think of water. Basic as it appears, it is actually a very complex system of molecules. Now, I'm not going to try to bore you with science, so I'll make it easy for you. Water has three basic forms: solid, liquid, and gas. Ice, water, or vapor. Well, God is the same way. He has three forms: God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. God, the creator of the heavens and the earth. Jesus, son who God sent himself as to die for our sins. Holy Spirit, the spirit that lives within us once we accept the Lord.

Truly an interesting argument, but I don't buy it.

So no, I believe Jesus is not a false idol.

3 comments:

  1. I dunno. Maybe if God had wanted to protect his turf he should have challenged Jesus to a Battle. Jesus said all this stuff and did nothing until God intervened. It's like God was taking pity on him.

    I think Jesus means well but he obviously isn't the son of God, or whatever.

    If Jesus was smart he'd battle God for Heaven and retire from fighting before it became popular as a means to claim a throne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Jesus is the son of God and if we worship jesus . Wouldnt he be classified as a false idol automatically. Its like a church that has carved images of jesus in churches stipulating that its not made of wood so it is valid. According to logic and common sense. Wouldnt any carved image be a problem. So it boils down to this. What are the right churches to attend. Im confused. Can you assist me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem with your states of matter metaphor is that if water had a consciousness it would maintain that consciousness in its various states. The trinity that is God Jesus and the holy spirit does not. Jesus even acknowledged that he didn't know everything his father did. Because they were of two separate minds, Jesus is not another form of God but a separate being entirely. This makes Jesus a false idol.

    ReplyDelete